Monday, October 26, 2009

Simply sweet… and last minute!

I love my friends, I really do… but they plan everything LAST MINUTE! I’m an overboard planner. I know exactly when and where I going to do things and how much it’s going to cost and what to bring. I even have the weekend planned by Wed! So when I found out ON LABOR DAY, that we were invited to a party, I panicked! Now what am I going to do! Every store in town is closed on Labor Day, and I can’t be “that friend” that shows up with no food, and then pigs out on everyone else’s ! Hmmmm, what to do, what to do? I quickly remembered a recipe that I’d almost made several times for a quick circumstance just like this. I grabbed my trusty Betty Crocker cook book and opened it to the most basic desert recipe I could remember- Butterscotch Brownies. I was back in business! This recipe has all the basic ingredients that I always have in my house. Let’s just say I kept my reputation as “the awesome dessert girl” and got rave reviews from everyone at the party. I recommend keeping this delicious “back-up brownie” recipe for every last minute invite!

Butterscotch Brownie

  • ¼ cup butter or stick margarine
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tbs. milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • ½ cup chopped nuts if desired
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
Heat over to 350. Grease bottom and sides of square pan 8 x 8 x 2. Melt butter in 1 ½ quart saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, milk and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread into pan. Bake about 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack.

You can also add any toppings to it such as chocolate chips, nuts or candy pieces. I used chocolate chips on top, and then baked them so it all got gooey!

- Jess

3 comments:

  1. loveLOVE the new blog! super pretty!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very excited about this cause I can make it girly! I can't do it on "Life and Adventures"! I'm going to try and put up little doodles with each one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be able to make this without burning it! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete