Monday, October 26, 2009

It's pumpkin time!

I thought I would let everyone know that I’m very excited about the annual pumpkin-carving contest at work this week. I haven’t carved a pumpkin in years! Probably since I was 13 or so. It’s been so long that now the pumpkin industry has cool carving saws, scrapers and pokers for the serious aficionados. I will be doing mine the old fashioned way - kitchen knives and spoons! I’ve been trying to catch up with some research on the best way to carve a pumpkin and how to preserve it. Here’s some tips; I hope they work:

Start with marking you outline with “puncture holes” to create your template. Always start your carving from the middle of the pumpkin; work slow and in small cuts. Always cut your corners first before making your lines.

To preserve your pumpkin there are 3 different techniques:

1.) Apply Vaseline to the cut areas to help keep it from drying out on the carving.

2.) Once your carving is done, spray your pumpkin with water and wrap in plastic wrap. Keep in refrigerator till ready to use. Try off with paper towels when ready to present to help prevent molding.

3.) For extra mold protection, add some bleach in with you water mixture before spraying on pumpkin.

As soon as I finish my carving- well, start my carving- I'll post some pics!

- Jess

1 comment: